Easter didn’t go quite as expected this year.  First, it was really cold. Sean, the kids and I got up about 7:00, and the kids discovered the Easter Bunny had visited. Sean was happy because he got to see them, usually he gets up and goes to work before any of us are awake on Sunday.  Then he gets to come home about 7 or 8 in the evening instead of having to work until 11:00, since he has to be back at the hospital at 7:00 am for clincials.   The kids and I proceeded to get ready for church. I ironed all the kids Easter clothes, put on my new (to me) size 16 Easter dress, put on my new black shoes and we were out the door.

The Easter service was nice.  A lot of people there, and the singing sounds so much better when there are a lot of people there. My MIL, FIL and BIL all showed up. They usually go to church in Muskogee, but went with the kids and I to our church for Easter. It was nice to have them there. 

After church we went over to the In-laws about 2:00 for Easter dinner. MIL had fixed a ham for everyone else and grilled two chicken breasts for herself and I. It was a really good chicken breast, but big and I cut it in half. I was going to regret that later. I had a nice big salad before I went over there, then the chicken, a little potatoe salad, two deviled eggs and some green beans.  MIL sent ham home with us, and I couldn’t resist tasting just a little tiny peice of it.  I was going to regret that too.

 About 3:00, I started getting sick. I had been having a similar sickness for the last couple of weeks, probably about 4 times. My stomach would hurt, and then it would feel as if I was just filling up with air, my back would start killing me, and just when I thought I would explode, literally, it would just sort of ebb away, and I would feel fine again.  When it started this time, I knew what the progression was going to be, and tried to head it off at the pass by taking some phenegren, which had helped a couple of times before. Not this time though.  It just wasn’t going to stop, and when I started having chest pain, I panicked and called my MIL, who is a registered nurse and teaches nursing at the school Sean goes to.  I knew once I called her, I was probably going to end up at the hospital, and about 15 minutes after she got here, we were in the car headed towards the hospital Sean works at. I had called him to come home, and she called him on his cell phone and he just turned around and went back.

We weren’t at the hospital long before I was in an exam room, and then having an x-ray (Sean shot them, he was like a little kid showing off at school when his parents visit. He is so cute, sometimes) then ultrasounds, blood work and urine samples. They pretty quickly determined it was my gall bladder, and I was admitted to the hospital. They say the attacks were caused by the fact that I have lost 51 lbs. I’d still do it again, though.

Now, I have to admit, that there were times in the hospital that I was scared. They tell you a lot of things that you really don’t need to know, like for instance, lets say, all the ways gall stones can kill you. There were times in the past that I have had a tendancy to do what I call, “panic now, pray later” I basically let my emotions get ahead of me, and forget that I have an all powerful and caring God, who loves me and will not forsake me.  I have been reading this book called “Breakthrough Prayer” by Jim Cymbala. That book had been sitting on my bookshelf for years, and I had never read it, but for some reason,  (The reason being a God thing!) about 2 weeks ago, (right about the time what I now know were gall bladder attacks started) I saw it on the bookshelf, picked it up and started reading it.  So when this happened, I was ready.  I think I prayed the entire time I was in the hospital.  When they couldn’t find a vein for the IV, (at least not one that worked right) I started praying that they would find the right one, that they would get the stick and that it would work right the rest of the time that I was in the hosptial. The very next time they tried, they got the right one and it worked, and that IV machine didn’t beep once the rest of the time I was there. 

 When it became apparent that I was not going to have my surgery first thing Monday, as they had told me Sunday night, and that I wasn’t going to be allowed to have anything to eat or drink until after the surgery, I prayed. I prayed I wouldn’t take it out on Sean or the nurses who were taking care of me, that I wouldn’t be bitter or short with them. As it got later, and I got thirstier, I prayed that they would just come and get me already.

 I prayed that I would have a Christian doctor and nurses, and while I didn’t actually ask anyone if they were Christian, it was revealed that most of them were, including the doctor.  (Is it really silly that now that most of the doctors are the same age as I am, I think they are all too young?)  There were some problems while I was there, things didn’t go smoothly the entire time, but I was able to pray through all of it, and know that God was with me, and no matter what it was going to be all right.  I lived through it, and I know that even though I am bruised and sore now, soon I’ll be feeling good again, and will be able to get back to the life I know He has planned for me. 

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. –Jeremiah 29:11-13

So since I now have plenty of free time, I have decided to make another run at the Jaywalker socks, this time in a Trekking colorway I picked up when I was visiting Jody at Christmas.  Don’t you just    love the way the yarn matches my pajama pants?   

                                                sock yarn and pajams 3