I haven’t been up to a lot of knitting lately, although I continue to work on the sock I have been taking with me to Chad’s art class. I’ve just turned the heel, so I’m happy about that. What I have been working on is fiber prep and spinning.

When I first got my carder, I wanted it mainly for the blending capabilities, and it did that well. However, when I used it to card clean raw fiber, I was disapointed in the amount of noils in my fiber. At first I thought it was because of the fiber I was using. THe only fleece I had to card was the fiber that we had sheared off of Ivy and Tootles, and everytime I tried to card it it just ended up horrible.

So I haven’t used the carder in a while, it has sat in my room and I have even thought of selling it once in a while and just buying another pair of hand cards. With all this angora fur sitting around though, I began to think that maybe I needed to give it another try. Angora fiber used by itself here in OK wouldn’t be very wearable except for the coldest of days. So last week I got it out and took it apart and cleaned it really well. I oiled it, and put it back together, and then started carding. This is what I have learned.

In order to blend the two fibers (Ivy’s wool and angora fiber) it worked best if I first carded a half the total wool I was using for each batt. Then I would card on the entire amount of angora for the batt, then the other half of the wool. This sandwiched the fly away angora between the much easier to handle wool. Then I would split each batt in half, and then half again, and feed each 1/4th onto the drum slowly. After peeling that off again, I would repeat the process. Each batt was carded three times.

Then, as I was reading during a coffee break (with all that cranking, I needed a coffee break!) I saw a comment that in order to blend the color of the wool and get uniform color throughout, you should blend a part of each batt into one batt. So I took the four batts I had made, split each into fourths again, and then carded 1/4th of each batt into one uniform batt. Then I repeated the process 3 more times before I was done with the carding and ready to start spinning.

I have been trying to break myself of the habit of spinning super fine. If my fingers are left to their own devices, that is exactly what they do. They spin a single that is so fine that even plied it is going to take forever to knit something with it. I wanted this yarn to be a sport weight, but I still think it is too fine. I’m hoping it will really bloom when I wash it, and be much thicker than it looks like it is going to be.

I will probably dye this once I have it all spun and plied. I did not like the results I had when I dyed angora before it was spun, it really snarled things up. I don’t really have a project in mind for this yarn either, but I am getting quite a collection of natural colored yarns that I have spun, and I am thinking it might be nice to have something made out of them. Maybe a shawl made on the tri-loom? Still thinking about it.